Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mmmmm Spam!

The Great Wall Marathon (of which I am only doing half) is next weekend! Am I prepared? No. Do I care? Hmmm, truthfully, not really.  I was really only worried about the stairs and since Mt Huashan didn't kill me, I am pretty sure that I will survive "The Great Wall."  From what I hear, there are sections of the race where there are so many people on a narrow area that everyone has to walk anyway so I am just not going to worry about it.

April was my worst running month this year.  I barely got in 40 miles for the month.  I went two weeks where I did no running what so ever. I did manage to get in an 11 mile long run last weekend but I was so slow that it took forever! Then I was planning on doing a short run on Tuesday but I was just so tired that I skipped it.  Then today (Thursday) I wasn't tired but it was just too hot.  (I'm getting really good with the excuses.)  Perhaps I will try tomorrow if it has cooled off some.  Perhaps not.

At least the warmer weather has made it a bit easier to get a taxi in the morning! In fact the other day my taxi driver took me down what looked to be a new road that was barely occupied and got me to work in about 10 minutes.  I'm not sure if they just opened this road or if all the other taxi drivers have been taking me the long way.  Yesterday and today my taxi drivers both took me the same old way.  I'm hoping that they just don't know about the new road and there isn't some big taxi driver conspiracy where they are all trying to drive me crazy.  Or perhaps the road was only open for one day??? Maybe I imagined it.

The way home is much more relaxed because I am not pressured for time.  I take a tuk tuk half of the way and then I usually walk the rest of the way home.
It's not the most comfortable ride but it's cheap and better than walking.  There is also one that looks like an open air minibus.  It's much more comfortable.

Usually I am quite hungry by the end of the day because lunch is at noon and by 5 I'm starved.  I've been stopping at this grocery store on my way home to pick up staples like bread and eggs.
I don't know the name but I like it way better than Lotus. They have a little deli counter inside where they have things like potato and egg patties, and these huge eggy crepe type things.  They also usually have some pre made sandwiches. They have egg sandwiches and spam sandwiches.  I have been getting in the habit of getting a spam sandwich and eating it on the way home.

I stopped in on Monday because we really needed bread.  I went by the counter and they only had one egg sandwich left but they also had an interesting noodle dish as well.  I ordered some of the noodle dish to take home and the woman packaged it up.  Then I pointed to the last egg sandwich.  She picked it up and took it to the back and came back out with two pieces of spam.  Then she proceeded to get a roll and she sliced it up and made me a fresh, warm, spam sandwich.  I'm telling you, it was just the best sandwich ever.  Mental note * I may be eating too much spam.


No comments:

Post a Comment