Thursday, May 15, 2014

Food

Oh China, why do you frustrate me so?  This morning I am sitting in the Cosy Day coffee shop because once again they have turned off the power in my building.  At 4:30 AM, while people are sleeping, they cut the power to the building and it doesn't come back on until after 10:00PM at night when you are getting ready to go to bed.  They did this on Tuesday.  Then we had a break yesterday (Wednesday) and this morning, (Thursday) they once again shut off the power at 4:30 AM.  We have been told that it will come back on after 10:00 PM tonight.  I have no idea why they do this.  I can only assume that it is to save power.

I've given up on the refrigerator.  I took out all the stuff from the freezer that has been melted, and refrozen.  All that is left is ice. (Soon to be water and then ice again.) We are leaving tonight for Beijing so I should be packing right now but I didn't sleep well last night.  If there is no power, there is also no internet and I am currently doing a time sensitive internet course online so I stayed up late last night trying to finish it.  Then at 4:30 AM when the power goes out, my electric fan also goes out.  I use this to drown out the street noise.  I definitely notice when the power goes out. Also, when the power goes out there is no hot water but for some reason that doesn't come back on until around noon the next day so for the past 3 days we have had hot water for about ten hours total.  Good times.

I decided this morning that coffee was more important than packing especially since I was ready to start slapping the cars that seem to be trying to run me down in the crosswalks and yell, "Really?!! Are you trying to kill me??!" Yes, coffee is probably best.

Our day today seems to be revolving around food, wifi, and electrical outlets.  We went home after Cosy Day and I managed to finish packing my stuff.  A car is coming to pick us up at 6.  We're leaving a bit early because I would rather sit at the airport than sit in my apartment in the dark.  Currently, we are sitting in a new restaurant that just opened up a couple of days ago.  We were a bit confused by the signage.

We weren't sure if it was "Big Ones" or perhaps a misspelling of "Bygones" or as Matt likes to keep calling it "Bigones," pronounced big-oh-knees. Today we went inside and the mystery is solved.  It is definitely "The Big Ones."  I ordered "The Big Ones Sandwich," mainly because I wanted to see what exactly "Reasonable Meat" was.

Lucky for me, it turns out to be Spam!  Matt ordered the Burger.  Both pretty good.  A tad on the expensive side but most western food is here.

Mmmm Spam.
In case you were wondering, I definitely eat other things besides spam.  In fact, I like most of the food here but there is one dish that I really don't like.  I was first introduced to it in Macau and I never liked it there either.  Over there it was called "chicken soft bone."  Here, we order by pictures and it actually looked good when we ordered it and when it arrived.

The problem with this dish is that when you bite into it you are expecting chicken but what you get is something like knuckles.  At the time that we ordered it I did actually eat quite a bit of it.  It's weird.  You bite into it and there are the bones, but there is also something in-between the bones.  I pondered as I chewed and my mind went back to a recent comment on a Facebook post.  Laurel had mentioned that she had torn her meniscus, and I thought, if I were ever planning on eating a meniscus, I bet that this is what it would taste like.  A couple of days later, we accidentally ordered it again.  That time we left it.  I can eat a lot of things, but I really don't need to choke down meniscus twice in one week.  

 One time we ate at Mc Donalds.  I ordered a beef and rice wrap.  It was not bad.

This was a pie.  I think it was taro.  Normally I hate taro.  It was actually really good.  I felt pretty sick afterwards but that is pretty much my reaction to any Mc Donalds.  

This is a German place over by Big Wild Goose Pagoda.  Matt likes this place but it requires a taxi ride and it's a bit far.  We would eat there more often if it were easier to get to.



Spaetzle
My favorite nearby place is "Inimitable." It is a Japanese sushi place.  Super yummy.
I also like this Macanese Restaurant called St. Louis. It's about a mile and a half away.  

Everything has been good there.  And no matter where you go, if you order a chicken, even if it comes all cut up, they always leave the head.


So, obviously I'm not starving here despite my empty fridge.  At least it's not raining.  

No comments:

Post a Comment